g+

Monday 5 September 2011

Time Flies


I cannot believe how quickly summer has passed by.Already my Bulgarian colleague is asking me when I will drain the pool down, and all the talk is about getting wood for the winter.For the past few weeks tonnes of wood has been appearing on the roadsides and the sound of chainsaws is familiar.

The summer season has been very disappointing for most people here and the streets are not busy with people.I fear that the winter will be very hard for people as they will not have much money.

The village I am in is totally reliant on the tourist industry and the Albena resort in particular.The season will wind down from the middle of this month and did not really start till June so the window of opportunity to make money is pretty narrow.Naturally this puts pressure to find work elsewhere and that effectively means working in the ski resorts or working abroad.Germany is the favourite destination currently but Spain was attractive too, but even there there is 15-20% unemployment amid bleak austerity.The next few months are not going to be a good time.

No comments:

Post a Comment