g+

Tuesday 29 June 2010

Bulgarian surprise at Wimbledon

Bulgaria's best tennis player Tsvetana Pironkova won 6:2, 6:3 against Venus Williams of the US during their quarter final match for the Wimbledon Championships at the All England Lawn Tennis Club, in London.
There will be no all-Williams final at Wimbledon after the No. 2 seed Venus Williams lost to the unseeded Bulgarian player.
The Court One crowd gave Pironkova a standing ovation as she went off - but the 22-year-old actually walked off ahead of the beaten Venus Williams.
"It seems like a dream. Coming here, I never thought I'd play this well and reach this part of the tournament. I'm very happy, “ Pironkova told BBC.
“I think I played pretty well. I'm happy with my game. She also did well, but I have one win over her and I actually thought I could win and I was going for it. I love this tournament. Every time I come here I enjoy it, the atmosphere and everything. I can imagine people are really happy in Bulgaria and maybe I'm on the news there…"
“This is a fabulous effort by Tsvetana Pironkova. Venus struggled to keep the ball in court, but the American has been rattled by the bravery of her opponent,“ BBC commented.
Four years ago Pironkova, aged then 18, kicked out Wimbledon champion Venus Williams out of the prestigious Australian Open. Williams, seeded 10th, fell 2-6, 6-0, 9- 7 to Pironkova, appearing in her first Grand Slam tennis tournament and ranked 94th.

No comments:

Post a Comment